Party in a Bunker Leaves Several People Unconscious

Source: Ntb Scanpix/Reuters

Around 200 partygoers in their 20’s and 30’s attended an illegal rave at a bunker in Oslo, Norway over the weekend. According to the Norwegian news agency, NTB, the partygoers had suffered from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The event, called ‘Rave Cave’ ended up hospitalizing 27 people, 5 of which were left in a critical condition. Two police officers who were first at the scene were also among those hospitalized. The source of the poisoning was found to be portable diesel generators that were being used to power lighting and sound systems at the event. 

When you rave in a room without windows with 50 to 60 others, the air becomes heavy. I had to go out several times and breathe fresh air.


Police officers had discovered the rave by accident when the police patrol car in the area was met by a group of confused individuals asking for an ambulance. Emergency services were immediately called upon the scene. Seven people were found unconscious inside the bunker by the emergency team. 

Several people complained of needing to go out for fresh air multiple times during the event. Rescue workers found the carbon monoxide level to be many times greater than the lethal level in some parts of the bunker. The oxygen level was found to be barely 16%, which is quite less than the safe concentration of 19.5%.

Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by the burning of gasoline, wood, charcoal, and other fuels. It can build up to dangerous levels in improperly ventilated areas such as indoors or a bunker, leading to poisoning. 

CO poisoning can cause sudden death as it can replace the oxygen in your red blood cells with Carbon monoxide leading to tissue hypoxia. Signs and symptoms include nausea, headache, confusion, loss of consciousness, or blurred vision. Complications from high levels of exposure include brain damage, cardiac complications, miscarriage, or death. 

According to the NTB, two out of the five people in intensive care have been released from the hospital. The lives of those affected are believed to be out of danger, however, authorities have asked the attendees to look out for symptoms of poisoning such as confusion, headache, or dizziness. 


Jeff. (2020, August 31). 27 Poisoned by Carbon Monoxide at Bunker Rave Party in Norway. Retrieved September 02, 2020, from


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here