Oxygen tank kills man in MRI scanner

0
Oxygen tank kills man in MRI scanner

Man died after an oxygen tank got stuck in an MRI machine while he was being scanned

In an unfortunate turn of events, a 60-year-old man died after an oxygen tank got stuck in an MRI machine while he was being scanned. The patient was admitted to a hospital in the city of Gimhae, South Korea following seizures. According to the police, he was hit by a 60 kg (132-pound) oxygen cylinder in the head. The cylinder flew into the MRI after the machine had been turned on.

An MRI machine uses powerful magnetic fields that force protons in the body to align with the axis of the MRI scanner. An MRI scanner is used for visualising cartilage, tendons and muscles. However, despite its usefulness, it carries certain risks if you are carrying anything magnetic.

Potential hazards and risks

The powerful magnets attract any metal in your body. This can damage metal equipment implanted in your body, for example, a cochlear implant or pacemaker. A metal object also reduces the quality of the MRI image. The presence of metals can be a serious problem because the magnetic metals can be forced in the scanner. Whereas pacemakers can cause currents and heating from the magnetic field. This is one of the reasons why hospitals don’t allow bringing metal objects into the MRI. How the oxygen tank was allowed into the room is still in question.

This is not the first reported case of a medical accident involving an MRI machine and oxygen tank in a hospital setting. In a similar case reported in 2018, a 32-year-old man died after being sucked into an MRI machine. He was reportedly asked by a junior staff member to carry an oxygen cylinder into the MRI room. “Despite being a ‘never event,’ MRI magnetic projectile accidents still continue to happen pretty regularly, and radiology should hang our heads for that,” Tobias Gilk, senior vice president of Radiology-Planning told AuntMinnie.com following the latest accident.

“The fact is that almost nowhere in the world are there actual explicit rules or requirements to follow the long-established best practices that would help prevent exactly this sort of accident.”

Source: South China Morning Post

Previous articleFDA Approves First Drug for Achondroplasia
Next articleAntibody Therapy Safe in Pregnancy, Says Study
Dr. Aiman Shahab is a dentist with a bachelor’s degree from Dow University of Health Sciences. She is an experienced freelance writer with a demonstrated history of working in the health industry. Skilled in general dentistry, she is currently working as an associate dentist at a private dental clinic in Karachi, freelance content writer and as a part time science instructor with Little Medical School. She has also been an ambassador for PDC in the past from the year 2016 – 2018, and her responsibilities included acting as a representative and volunteer for PDC with an intention to make the dental community of Pakistan more connected and to work for benefiting the underprivileged. When she’s not working, you’ll either find her reading or aimlessly walking around for the sake of exploring. Her future plans include getting a master’s degree in maxillofacial and oral surgery, settled in a metropolitan city of North America.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here