Head Explosion: Emergency Medical Procedure Turns Into A Fire Frenzy

0
aem.usp-pl.com

India witnesses a large number of suicidal attempts every year, not all, however, are successful. This is a case of a suicide survivor who eventually died due to a “never before seen” medical consequence.

A 40-year-old Indian woman was rushed to the hospital at Jawahar Lal Nehru Medical College in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh after an intoxicant consumption with suicidal aim.

Gastric lavage, a common procedure for stomach wash and numerous other purposes, was attempted in order to remove the unspecified agent from her body.

forum.facmedicine.com

A routine operation wreaks havoc

A CCTV camera attached caught a horrific scene. The agent used for the lavage had seemingly reacted with the substance the patient had swallowed. A flash was seen in the tape obtained from the hospital room, which was followed by smoke and a lot of chaos, as doctors, paramedics, and the rest of the staff tried to figure out what had happened.

“An explosion occurred in her mouth, and flames along with smoke came out of her mouth while the medical team were trying to suck out poison from her stomach.”

SS Zaidi, Chief Medical Officer at JNMC

The science behind the explosion

The explosion occurred immediately after the insertion of a tube for the lavage inside the patient’s mouth.

‘There could be a possibility that she allegedly consumed Celphos tablet (Aluminium phosphate) which releases phosphine gas in addition to Aluminium oxide and other gases (which are highly flammable) and the explosion occurred when it met gastric acid. We have CCTV footage of the incident and we have watched it several times as such a thing has simply never happened in medical history.’

SS Zaidi, Chief Medical Officer at JNMC

Reference:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/17/patients-head-explodes-operating-table-undergoing-treatment-poison-9581031/

World Hepatitis Day 2021

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here